I love reading books where the season the book is set in really brings the story alive. For example, my next YA is all about Summer and the beach. However, winter can be great too. I’m brainstorming some reasons and I’d love some help. It might be enough that my next story is all about the cold.
- Cuddles – there’s nothing like using the cold as an excuse to snuggle up to the hero/heroine of your dreams
- Drama – think icy roads and getting stranded in hypothermic conditions. These kind of situations can really bring the best or worst out of a character
- Food – is there anything better than hot chocolate or warm roasts. Even a bucket of hot chips when your hands are almost too frozen to feel them
- Fires – the fireplace kind and a bonfire where you’re rugged up against the chill and toasting marshmallows
- Fashion – stay with me for this one. Not everyone, and not every character loves stripping off for the pool. There’s something to be said for the classic look of jeans and a long jacket
Any other ideas?
I always wanted to write. I’ve worked as a lab assistant, a pizza delivery driver and a high school teacher but I always pursued my first dream of creating stories. Now, I live with my family near Adelaide, halfway between the city and the sea, and am lucky to spend my days (and nights) writing young adult fiction.