And then a step to the right…
This is a bit how I feel at the moment, jumping all over the place. It isn’t the holiday season – although there is that too, but more that I have edits and proofs and I’m writing a new story all at the same time. These are sci-fi, romance and mystery. It’s a juggle!
So today I thought I’d share my best tips for switching between completely different stories.
- Probably the most obvious is be organised so you’re not overwhelmed.
- Allot a decent stretch on each thing at once. Five minutes here and there might not make much progress at all.
- I love playlists. If you have a list it can help you get in the mood for the book you’re supposed to be working on. (sometimes just thinking of the songs is enough)
- If you get on a roll with one it might be worth sticking with that for longer. Progress is good.
- Finally, give yourself some slack to do your best – it’s all of us can ask really.
Anyone got any good switching tips?
I always wanted to write. I’ve worked as a lab assistant, a pizza delivery driver and a high school teacher but I always pursued my first dream of creating stories. Now, I live with my family near Adelaide, halfway between the city and the sea, and am lucky to spend my days (and nights) writing young adult fiction.
Find me at my website:
Or on twitter @BeckNicholas