The Hot Factor

Having just celebrated Valentine’s Day I thought I’d talk a little bit about romance. Yep, the mushy stuff, the scenes that in movies tend to make my 7yo run screaming from the room. Being seven, his movies/TV watching is pretty limited but lots of stories that have action and adventure (that he adores) also have a hint of romance (less adoring – more hiding). We watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on the weekend and he asked why they couldn’t have more pirates and things blowing up bits and less hand holding bits.

Most stories have romance, whether it’s part of the main plot or a sub plot. Even if you’re not writing a steamy NA contemporary you’ll need to think about what makes the reader say ‘ahhh…’ and swoon just a little on the inside.

We need a ‘HOT’ or attractive character.

Hot

Of course a hot hero/heroine will help but in a book, how do you describe them as hot?

Abs are nice but if you want to describe them you need a good reason for them to exist. If your hero is a trained military type it’ll be a given but otherwise even their hotness needs to be in character.  You need a good reason for the book nerd boy to have a six-pack.

Then the character in question needs to be hot from the point of view of the character the reader is living through. SPECIFICALLY. Like in real life (mostly) that attraction – the HOT factor – won’t be simply physical . Think about why the character might be hot (or not) intellectually/emotionally.

These are some of the things I consider when trying to describe a hot character.

Let me ask you? What makes a character ‘HOT’?

=)

Beck

beck nicholas_ bec sampson

Bio:

I always wanted to write. I’ve worked as a lab assistant, a pizza delivery driver and a high school teacher but I always pursued my first dream of creating stories. Now, I live with my family near Adelaide, halfway between the city and the sea, and am lucky to spend my days (and nights) writing young adult fiction.

Find me at my website:

www.becknicholas.com

Or on twitter @BeckNicholas

10 Comments

1. Because I’m a musician myself, I always find male characters ‘hot’ if they are musical. But not like the moody type who play in a rock band. Kind of the nerdy, student musician. Bonus points if they can play the piano (one of my my ex’s special skills was playing the organ. Not a euphemism… xD).

Liked by 1 person

2. For me, it’s all about seeing the hot guy through the eyes of the character who falls for them. The way the two interact, the way the other character thinks of them. Honestly, even the type of guys that annoy the heck out of me in real life, I’ve swooned for in books. And I think that’s a tremendous ‘well done’ to the author. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Feeling the main character’s emotions when they’re near the guy. The heart flutter and the tummy flip. Unexplainable reactions are enough for me, whether he’s a firefighter or a toilet cleaner.

4. A guy has to have spunk and his own storyline. He shouldn’t agree on everything with the MC but instead they have to challenge each other’s thoughts and opinions. The relationship should be built up throughout the story and both the MC and the love interest should be made vulnerable at least once.

A nice smile and hot body doesn’t go amiss either.

5. Feeling the main character’s emotions when they’re near the guy. Heart flutters and tummy flips. Unexplainable reactions are good enough for me in making him hot, whether he’s a firefighter or a toilet cleaner.

6. I have often wondered about a nerd with a six -pack. *swoon* You may have just found my romance button…It’s one of those necessities, isn’t it? An attractive male character is always going to go down well. But I like how you add – you have to show how they are attractive to the other person, and emotionally as well. I have no problem with attraction and hot value. But when the main characters focus on this constantly, and it’s just general hotness, I might lose a little interest 🙂 I’m one of those ‘romance on the side’ people though 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Leave a comment. We love hearing from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s