Really? what kind of an excuse is that?!?
Okay, okay, it’s one I’ve used a thousand times (I’m exaggerating, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story, right?).
Okay, so you reckon you don’t have the time. You’re busy, I’ll grant you that; everyone is busy, or pretending to be to look important (you know it’s the truth). You work, have kids, possibly both, maybe even grandkids. You need to go to the gym, do the groceries, pick up said kids or grandkids from school…you get the picture. You also want to write, but when? I’m going to give you a quick list of all the times in the day you might be able to squeeze in a little writing, be it five minutes or an hour or two (an hour or two? Are you kidding me, where will I find an hour or two?!).
* Get up a little earlier each day (unless you already get up at some ungodly hour to start work or whatever) and smash out a few words or write some notes.
* stay up a little later (I’m not a huge fan of this one, I don’t function well with little sleep).
* Make sure you carry a notebook with you so you can jot down ideas or notes…sometimes you may even feel inspired to handwrite a scene or chapter or even a paragraph. I find a good time to do this is sitting in the car waiting for my kids to get out of school. I have to be there early to get a parking spot anyway, so why waste the time.
* In between school runs if you have to do them.
* Instead of watching television and smooshing your brain with stupid guff on the box, turn it off, or put in headphones if hubby is watching and write instead. I find tv such a timewaster and the box barely gets turned on at all when hubby isn’t home (mine works away). Trust me, it will be hard at first, but if you kick the tv habit you will have SOOOOOO much time for your writing.
* If you like to exercise and like to use the treadmill, why not buy a treadmill desk and kill two birds with one stone and write while you workout. Your neurons will also be firing at a healthy pace so you will get the best ideas…just try not to sweat on the laptop…gross!
* If you have toddlers (and all mums will understand this one) hide in the bathroom with your notebook…you may only get five minutes before they find you, but hey…five minutes of writing is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
So there you have my short list of easy ways to buy time for writing. If you think you can add to it, please feel free to leave a comment with your idea 🙂
Suse likes to do many things, one of which is writing which she often finds little time for in amongst the plethora of other things she enjoys doing…like housework…NOT!! Haha, funny one. Also, she no longer has blonde hair and needs a new photo 😉