Let’s talk about Street Teams.
I feel like facebook is full of them right now. Every time I turn around another one has popped up in my social media feed, my notifications, or sometimes even in my DMs. Sometimes I get invited and sometimes I’m just added. I’m a member of at least a dozen street teams, and I try to be at least somewhat active in all of them, but the more of them that pop up, the harder that’s becoming. Maybe that’s because I’m an author as well as a reader and I don’t want to flood my social media feed with promotional material. (We all know that’s a sure way to get yourself blocked.) Or maybe it’s because I’m a mum, an author, a publicist, a million other things and there are only so many hours in the day. Either way, I feel guilty when I don’t participate in all of the things for all of the authors. Because I LOVE them and I want to help, I really do.
But sometimes it feels a little bit like this:
With so many street teams around, I’m pondering a couple of things.
- Are readers tired of street teams or do they still love them?
- I know most teams have missions and prizes, but do team members actually want those prizes or are members there because they want to interact with the author?
- Etiquette: Some authors add readers to their teams without consultation. Does this annoy people or is it okay?
- Also with etiquette, when you’re a member are you expected to take part in the majority of events, and author requests, or is it okay to only participate sometimes?
And I guess all those thoughts led me to the big ones;
- Are street teams losing their usefulness to authors as readers join more and more?
- Are teams also losing their usefulness because social media is flooded with promo for so many books?
Technically it’s not poll day, but I’m going to whack a poll in here anyway, because I know a lot of you are shy and won’t leave a comment. As readers, I want to know what you think. Do you love streets teams, hate them, tired of them, or fall somewhere in the middle?
Let’s talk about this!