Let’s talk about sex: poll

It’s one of the most controversial topics in Young and New Adult books: sex. How much is too much, is it what defines the NA genre (for the record, my opinion is a screaming HELL NO, but I digress) and how much should we see of the horizontal tango?

It’s because of all of this controversy that I’ve chosen to dedicate this blog post to the topic of all things between the sheets.

Let us know your thoughts! We’ll do a post announcing the results next month.

What do you think about action between the sheets? Photo: Big Stock Photo

What do you think about action between the sheets?
Photo: Big Stock Photo

Lauren (3)

Lauren McKellar is an author and freelance editor. Her debut YA novel, Finding Home is on sale from October 1, and you can pre-order it here or add it to goodreads here, but be warned–this novel does contain traces of sex.

12 Comments

1. This is a great poll! I’m a bit of a prude 😉 and I’m not keen on explicit or descriptive sex in any book. I don’t read erotica for this reason. But, I still think sex has a place in both YA and NA books if it adds to the story. Also, sex can be suggested at and talked about, but not described in detail. It can be there but happen behind closed doors instead of the reader being in the bedroom as well.

2. This is tricky because everyone has different taste. Sex certainly has it’s place in both YA and NA, and it can be written with a lot of feeling and taste. Personally, I prefer the closed bedroom door approach. I enjoy it more if the author doesn’t SHOW us the, *ahem* ins and outs of it though.

Add me to the prude list. 😉

3. Luv this. Definitely a bag of worms Lauren. When I think of YA even NA I don’t know what it is, but I don’t want/ expect the level of sexual content I expect & enjoy in my other single titles or ” grown- up” novels. I realise our young society know it all ( probably done it as well) already, but if we bring the sexual content into our younger overs, then I fear for the future of “jack & Jill” & others.

4. I don’t like every move spelled out in graphic detail in YA, but I think sex is a huge part of adolescence. Not necessarily having full-fledged sex, but kissing, groping, thinking about sex semi-constantly – this is “normal” teen behavior. So when there’s no mention of it in a YA book, to me it feels like something is missing. As for YA, I don’t think it has to have explicit sex, but if it makes sense with the story, it’s okay.

1. I agree sugaropal, and that’s where it lies for the YA/NA author, getting the balance right. A certain level of sex has to be there to assist the romance or relationship content. And yes they are thinking it 24/7 – so we hear 🙂

5. How someone deals with sex is a big part of their characterization. I don’t feel like I know my characters fully if I don’t delve into their sexual side, whether it’s their fantasies, or what they’re holding back. That’s why I even have sex in my Biblical romance. I don’t view sex as something to be ashamed about. And when I’m inside my character, I have to feel everything she feels whether it’s worry, shame, joy, or elation, uncertainty, dread, and yes, horniness. But then, I don’t write YA, and I suppose I’d put on my Mommy-hat and say “ewwww” if the characters are too young. Mine are all older than 20.

6. Ooops! Posted this over on the poll!

I think sex is okay in both YA & NA (those who oppose it I think are naive if they believe that those in the YA targeted audience don’t understand or already experiment), but I do believe that the author should leave some things to the imagination! We don’t need to know all the details.

Leave a comment. We love hearing from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s